Restless Sleep

I wake up at night more frequently than I used to. I’m not convinced this is yet another sign of getting old, yet, I could be wrong.

Lately (and I’m not proud to admit this), when I wake up I often reach for my cell phone and proceed to track down news feeds. My favorites—labeled by some as “Fake News”— include the New York Times, CNN, and Rachel Maddow.

I track them down at 2:32 A.M. or 3:48 A.M. or whenever sleep eludes me, in hopes that a new development has emerged out of Washington. Another White House shakeup. A resignation maybe. Perhaps the answer to all my dreams, impeachment proceedings.

About two hours ago—realizing I needed a nap—I decided to change my ways. Sleep is simply too valuable. I’m going to see how long I can fast from all political stories coming out of D.C.

Filling the void, I’m going to give more attention to the natural world around me, to contemplate and appreciate those things which, according to Jesus, neither toil nor spin.

Three images on Old Mission Peninsula in Northern Michigan taken by this former news junkie.

Top: last light of day reflecting on Grand Traverse Bay

Middle: wild flowers on M37

Bottom: flowers for sale at roadside stand.

I think I’m going to sleep better tonight.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , .

1. Danielle Veenstra July 24, 2017 at 6:29 pm #

I too struggle to sleep through most nights, too many burdens on the heart. The older we get the more sorrow we carry which disrupts the sleep. Your beauty solution is worth a try. Thanks for the idea.

2. rfrholton July 24, 2017 at 7:41 pm #

I read, watch and listen to the same sources you mention. I can’t help but wonder how many of us are doing very similar things each day and night while trying to redirect our thoughts to something …. anything …. more productive than hanging on every word and anxiety-laden action.

I think your plan to “exist in nature” is a good one. The three pictures you have used to illustrate this piece seem to be classic.

Thank you!

• Daniel Plasman July 25, 2017 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks for keeping me sane, dear friend.

3. Sally Van Vleck July 24, 2017 at 9:23 pm #

These are really beautiful photos, Dan. I really like the last one; that sweet stand. I think we’re all learning how to take in what we need to know, but not too much so that we feel overwhelmed and, well…end up with restless sleep!

4. Marv Dunn July 24, 2017 at 10:07 pm #

Sweet Dreams!

5. Anonymous July 25, 2017 at 1:11 pm #

Thanks!!

6. Diana Farmer July 30, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Thank you for your thoughtful writing, and for the eye candy! This world, and this person, needs your medicine! Love to you and the misses.
    Diana