This Reluctant Spring

Richmond Willow“Willow Tree”  by D. Plasman

Today, 54 degrees and cloudy on the 42nd latitude in Michigan. Tonight, a low of 37. I took this photo a few days ago on another dreary May morning. Rt. 89 is a two-lane highway in the southwest part of the state that begins at Lake Michigan, west of Fennville, and winds its way through Allegan, Otsego and Richland (where this photo was taken), before terminating in Battle Creek.

The rain came down in a drizzle, just enough for the windshield wipers to stay on intermittent. Rounding a curve in the road, I came to the sight of this tree and its reflection in the still water. A rare opening in the cloud cover perfectly lit the scene. It was then I committed a photography sin: I didn’t stop to capture the moment. A half hour later, sure I had missed my opportunity, I returned to the same curve in the road and beheld the scene again. Still perfect! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Some days we really do get a second chance.

This entry was posted in Nature and tagged , , .

1. Beth Cafagna May 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

We all need second chances, from people in our lives, and from ourselves, when we let God’s forgiveness come into our hearts. Perhaps a second chance is like resurrection.
    We miss you (as Duke Ellington said, and “we love you madly”. Love to you & Jody.
    Really wish you were still here.
    Beth and Al (the tan one)

2. Marge May 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

The scene is one of peace and serenity. There is some expectation that soon something grand will burst forth. I wonder about people who don’t realize the peace and serenity in their lives and how it comforts and encourages others. I wonder about people who don’t sense with eagerness the possibility of great exploding joy in their lives. Do they miss it because they are not looking?
    Do I miss it, because I am not looking?

3. Meghan May 5, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Stunning in its dreary misery

4. rholton May 5, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

This may be your best photograph so far.
    Very, very nice. Are you going to make these available?

5. Ken dagner May 6, 2014 at 1:51 am #

What an eye for beauty. but of course, we already knew that because you married Jody!! You are so missed at Edgewood! Keep the pictures coming, tell Jody Hi, and, if you’re ever in need of field stones, look me up!!

6. Janet Hughes-Smith May 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

I know the road well between Allegan and Otsego. West side is the “pretty” side of the state! I could rest in the view of this spot. Thanks for sharing!